Gojo Bridge, Nagoya
Gojo Bridge (五條橋) is the first bridge built over Hori River in Nagoya. It was originally spanned the Gojo River which flows through Kiyosu (bordered by Nagoya to the east), and was relocated to the present location by order of Tokugawa Ieyasu when Nagoya Castle was being built.
Originally made of wood, the bridge was reconstructed in concrete in 1938. The inscription on the ornamental (metal) knobs now preserved in Nagoya Castle reads “Gojo Bridge, Keicho 7, Year of the Tiger, June, Lucky Day”.
photos: Junko Nagata ©Japanbyweb.com