Hiroshima Castle (広島城 Hiroshima-jō) was built by the powerful daimyo Mori Terumoto in 1591. The original castle was destroyed by the atomic bombing on August 6, 1945. It was rebuilt in 1958, a replica of the original that now serves as a museum of Hiroshima’s history before World War II.
Hiroshima Gokoku Jinja (広島護国神社) , the Shinto Shrine next to Hiroshima Castle. The original shrine was destroyed by the atomic bombing and was rebuilt here in 1965 with the aid of donations from the citizens of Hiroshima.