Takahata-fudo is a Buddhist temple of Shingon sect, and is located in Hino city about 30 km west of Shinjuku.
Eleven-hundred years ago, in the early part of Japan’s Heian Period (794-1185), Jikaku Daishi Ennin, at the request of Emperor Seiwa, proclaimed this land a holy site, built Fudo-do Hall and dedicated it to the Buddhist deity called Fudo-myoo.
In addition to hosting seasonal events such as the Hydrangea Festival, Chrysanthemum Festival and Autumm Leaves Festival, the temple also attracts visitors year-round for being the site of Bodai-ji Temple, which is dedicated to Hijikata Toshizo and his deceased descendants. Hijikata was a military leader and famous samurai.
The official name of this temple is “Shingon-shu Chisan-ha Bekkaku-honzan Takahata-san Myo’o-in Kongo-ji” (Shingon Sect Chisan School Quasi-Head Temple, Mt. Takahata Myo’o-in Hall Kongo-ji Temple).
733 Takahatafudo, Hino-shi, Tokyo. 5 min walk from Takahatafudo Station.
Author – photographer